Monday, February 4, 2008

Topping Ourselves

There are two desires running headlong into one another lately: the desire to have fresh content available on a timely basis and the desire to make something epic enough for people to say "wow".

I mean, sure, I could make a 3-5 minute movie every week with a minimal cast doing something vaguely silly. That's tempting too because people like regular release schedules. On the other hand, I've made a couple of movies that approached the 10 minute mark, had big casts, so the ability to create such things is out there. So if I make a 3 minute movie about Karen deCoster beating up Ben Affleck now, people will go "sure, that's cute, but its no Koch Hit".

And at the end of the day, I'm a publicity whore. Sure, I hide it behind a near-transparent veil of anonymity, but what I'm really seeking is some validation. Seriously... I want to see people I don't know blogging about this shit, discussing it, people all over the world, discussing it in foreign languages like "look what those Americans are up to now". That's fun, and its damned tough to attract any attention to those shorter films. The Andrew Sullivans of the world must be satiated, and that necessitates epic sequels.

At this point, I have no clue how long Koch Hit 2 is going to end up being. Longer than the original, I can tell you that much. I also don't have a firm street date for it, not this week though, unless something miraculous happens. I've got an idea for a little interim content that might placate the impatient. Stay Tuned!

No comments: